Wednesday, 9 August 2017

Tor Megiddo: Abalone Mutant

I've been a bit slow starting this project, but here's my first finished miniature for Tor Megiddo. 

The vast deserts on Tor Megiddo is the home to all sorts of mutants and strange creatures. Abalone Mutants were once sea creatures, but chaos has speed up the evolution and turned them into something else. When the great Tor Megiddo oceans dried up, a few creatures survived by hiding in the enormous sewer systems under the cities. They only come out at night, to hunt...

This miniature was based on a Crypt Horror and a real snail shell. The legs are from a Nurgle Plague Drone, and the head is taken from a FW chaos spawn. 

I'm planning to make a smaller version of this kind of creature, based on a Bloodletter and Tyranid parts. If I have time I'll also make a small terrain piece to go with the mutants, some kind of tunnel opening to the sewers.

Thursday, 3 August 2017

Tor Megiddo: WIP


Dark Imperium: Foetid Bloat Drone

My version of the Foetid Bloat Drone from Dark Imperium is of course based on the Foetid Bloat drone. I'm not the biggest fan of the original miniature, so I had to do a few changes to it. The most important thing to change was the pose. I glued together the main parts of the body and held them over the base, trying to figure out which flying pose I wanted. When I found the pose I liked best, the Drones face was pointing upwards, so I had to replace it. I ended up giving it the head from the Skaven ship from Dreadfleet (you can still see the skaven symbol/scar on the side of the head that I forgot to remove). Now the creature looked a lot like a fish, so I have it fins, using the wings from a Nurgle Plague Drone. The claws are from the same kit. 

I painted the Dronething the same way I painted my Poxwalkers (TUTORIAL HERE), washes and glazes over a Corax White undercoat. I also decided to paint the armour black, to contrast the pale flesh. Before I started painting I primed the miniature White, then I covered the flesh with masking tape and sprayed the armour black. The whole miniature was painted in one evening. 

The next unit from Dark Imperium will be some black Plague Marines!

Monday, 24 July 2017

Champion of Slaanesh

I converted this miniatures a couple of years ago and I finally got around to paint it. I painted this one for the painting competition the fang. It was painted in one evening. I did the pink with very quick wet blending and glazes. 

The model was converted using FW Fulgrims legs, FW Noice Marine head and weapon, Dark Eldar wings, Genestealer ribcage and Bloodreaver abs. 

My favourite part of the miniature is the exposed abs. I think it gives him a very Slaaneshi feel. 

Here he is beside the Daemon Fulgrim I made a few years ago. It's one of my favourite miniatures. 

Friday, 21 July 2017

Dark Imperium: Poxwalkers

I've finally photographed my horde of Poxwalkers. You can find the painting tutorial for these guys HERE

The Poxwalkers are painted in a very similar way as the Pestigors I made earlier this year. I think I'll use my Black Pox warband together with the new Death Guard miniatures from Dark Imperium on this years Armies on Parade.

Saturday, 15 July 2017


My genestealer cult is featured in this months White Dwarf. The pictures are great!

Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Tutorial: Poxwalkers Batch Painting, part III

Hi! I've been a bit busy lately, and haven't had the time to write this final part of my Poxwalkers tutorial before now. But the waiting is over, and you can finally read part three of the tutorial:

Links to part one and two:

Part one and two covers all the basic parts of the poxwalkers, like flesh, clothing and metal. This third, and last part, will show how I did the Individual details on the Poxwalkers.

XXVII. When I was finished with the flesh, clothing and metal on the miniatures, I felt like I needed some more colour variation. These guys are zombies after all, and are supposed to be all different kinds of people. The first colour I chose to paint was red. I used red on some of the painted metal areas, like the wrench and shoulder pads. 

The red parts were basecoated with Dryad Bark. Then I stippled Word Bearers red from FW over the brown (Khorne Red from GW is basically the same colour). Its important that you still see some of the brown showing through. The red was then lightly stippled and highlighted with Evil Sunz Scarlet. I washed the red with camo green and sepia shades.

XXVIII. The blue was done in exactly the same way as the red. A Dryad Bark base followed by stippling and highlighting with Stegadon Scale Green and a lighter turquoise colour (I think it was Sotek Green). The markings were done by carefully stippling Word Bearer red in lines, followed by a highlight of Evil Sunz Scarlet. I finished these areas with a wash of sepia and camo green shades.

XXIX. Two of the Poxwalkers have gas tanks. I was a bit lazy at this point and only did one layer of colour over a brown undercoat. The method shown in the two previous steps can be used for any colour on rusty old plates.

XXX. I used rust to tie everything together. It was used on the bare metal and on the painted metal parts. I used Fugean Orange and Yriel Yellow to get this effect. First I applied blobs of orange shade to mark where I wanted the rust. While the shade was still wet, I applied watered down yellow where I wanted the rust to be more intense.

XXXI. The last step I did was painting the eyes and teeth. All the eyes were painted with Pallid Wych Flesh. Some got black pupils or a red glaze to make them look more zombie like. 
I used the same colour on the teeth. This was Followed by a wash of watered down black.
I used a mix of sepia shade and black paint to make the wet streaks running from their mouths. Yellow paint was added to the mix and added to the ones with the most slime. 

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial! I'll post pictures of the finished Poxwalkers later this week.